According to wikipedia "Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region to settle in another. (..) There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate. Some are for reasons of religious, political or economic freedom or escape. Others have personal reasons such as marriage. Some people living in rich nations with cold climates choose to move to warmer climates when they retire."
Well, neither of these reasons apply to me, but nevertheless I decided to move from Germany to England where it always rains and the men are not really classified as the most attractive ones in the whole wide world. When you have lived in a foreign country before, you might know how different, awkward, funny and difficult your daily life can become.
Here are some highlights of my life in London Town.

August 27, 2012

British Humour

I have been planning on writing about British humour for a while now, but didn't really know where to start, because it's such an important part of British behaviour. When it comes to humour, you have to keep in mind the Brits don't just tell a joke, they are full of wit. It's part of their mentality. 

It's particularly hard to get the British humour when you come from a country where people (stereotypically) have no sense of humour at all. In situations where we Germans rather remain silent, English people usually crack a joke, because they feel uncomfortable and have to compensate that by joking about it. Therefore, British humour tends to break taboos. Here is an example from Mock the Week:
"So, I saw the Saddam being executed. It made me think... is there nothing on the internet I won't masturbate to?" 

Another difference is that while in Germany slapstick humour is very popular, the funny side of British humour lies in puns. For example: "I was arrested at the airport. Just because I was greeting my cousin Jack! All that I said was 'Hi Jack', but very loud."

British comedians are omnipresent. When you turn on the TV, in every second entertainment show you have a comedian either as host or guest. British comedians such as Stephen Fry write also serious columns in newspapers, discuss political issues on TV and are also outside of TV politically involved. 
On contrary, British politicians behave as if they wanted to be comedians. Just have a look at these scenes from the House of Commons:


I'm still experiencing difficulties when it comes to British humour, so please don't be offended if you are British and I don't laugh about your jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment