According to wikipedia "Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region to settle in another. (..) There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate. Some are for reasons of religious, political or economic freedom or escape. Others have personal reasons such as marriage. Some people living in rich nations with cold climates choose to move to warmer climates when they retire."
Well, neither of these reasons apply to me, but nevertheless I decided to move from Germany to England where it always rains and the men are not really classified as the most attractive ones in the whole wide world. When you have lived in a foreign country before, you might know how different, awkward, funny and difficult your daily life can become.
Here are some highlights of my life in London Town.

February 17, 2013

Becoming British

Yesterday, I actually caught myself humming the British national anthem. Probably because I sang it for the first time ever last week.
It made me wonder, though, what the Brits are going to sing when Prince William (let's face it Prince Charles will never become king) will be king. "God save our gracious King"? If you know the answer to this question and also how they are going to change all pound notes and coins, please let me know.

But I actually wanted to talk about the reason why I sang the British national anthem. My Canadian friend Miranda (name changed by editor) could apply for the British citizenship since she has lived X amount of years in the UK and last week the official ceremony took place.
How exciting, right? That's what I thought and came along.

During the ceremony you have to make an oath of allegiance (or you can make an affirmation if you prefer not to swear by God) and a pledge:


On the UK Border Agency website they say:
"You may wish to practise saying the oath or affirmation, and the pledge, before you attend the ceremony."
It's just one sentence, but it might be particularly difficult, if you don't actually speak English. Why would someone who just becomes British not speak English, you might ask? In fact, I did. Especially after my American friend Sam (name changed by editor, because I'm such a professional) had to leave the country a few weeks ago despite having a job, a flat, and friends here as well as being fluent in English.

I still can't really answer that question, but I guess there are other ways to become British. Miranda met a guy who used to work with her a few years ago. He was there with a lady who used to live next to their workplace. Guess what? They are married now. Guess for how long? 3 years. Ummm, interesting!

So, there are multiple ways of getting to attend this ceremony. After a couple of speeches, where I learnt that being British is "a blessing and a privilege", and the oath and pledge, the newly British citizens received their certificate and their welcome pack which included a commemorative gift (which was a not very exciting looking pen in this particular case). We then sang the national anthem and the participants could take pictures with the local speaker and of course the Queen:


It was an interesting experience and it made me wonder how the ceremony for becoming German might look like. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment