According to wikipedia "Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region to settle in another. (..) There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate. Some are for reasons of religious, political or economic freedom or escape. Others have personal reasons such as marriage. Some people living in rich nations with cold climates choose to move to warmer climates when they retire."
Well, neither of these reasons apply to me, but nevertheless I decided to move from Germany to England where it always rains and the men are not really classified as the most attractive ones in the whole wide world. When you have lived in a foreign country before, you might know how different, awkward, funny and difficult your daily life can become.
Here are some highlights of my life in London Town.

September 11, 2011

The Great British Weather


I simply had to write a post about that subject sooner or later. It is small talk topic no 1 in England, there are even TV shows about The Great British Weather, and everyone abroad mentions the bad British weather first and the bad food second - even though I really like English food, but this will be another post!

First of all, the English weather-speak is a form of code. It's either ritual greetings, like "Nice day, isn't it?", conversation starters, "Still raining, eh?", or default fillers, such as "Ooh, isn't it cold today?!" I have to admit I use it as a filler quite often. If a conversation gets stuck, I usually come up with the weather talk.

And, I have to say there is a lot to talk about, because the weather here is changing so quickly. Yesterday, I went for a walk in the park. When I left the house, it was super sunny and hot. I was wearing a shirt and sunglasses. As soon as I arrived in the park and sat down on a bench, it started raining. I took out my new umbrella and my cardigan, and decided to walk home. But I noticed no one else was bothered by the rain. The boys were still playing football and frisbee and the parents were still sitting around, enjoying their picnic. I swear it was pouring down when I took that picture: 


In England you have to be prepared for everything: sunshine, rain, wind, clouds. I usually carry a big bag with me that includes a cardigan, a scarf, sunglasses, an umbrella, tights and sometimes a second pair of shoes, because you never know how the weather will be in an hour. I consider it as a good thing, though, because if it's raining, it's very likely that the sun will come out soon again. And often it happens at the same time. I haven't seen as many rainbows in my life as in London:


No comments:

Post a Comment