According to wikipedia "Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region to settle in another. (..) There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate. Some are for reasons of religious, political or economic freedom or escape. Others have personal reasons such as marriage. Some people living in rich nations with cold climates choose to move to warmer climates when they retire."
Well, neither of these reasons apply to me, but nevertheless I decided to move from Germany to England where it always rains and the men are not really classified as the most attractive ones in the whole wide world. When you have lived in a foreign country before, you might know how different, awkward, funny and difficult your daily life can become.
Here are some highlights of my life in London Town.

December 11, 2011

Traditions and Customs in Autumn

The end of 2011 is just around the corner and I haven't updated my blog since September?! Here is my recap of the past 3 months.

Golden October:  
October still felt like summer this year. We had over 30°C in London and were still sitting outside in beer gardens and cafés enjoying the last warm days of the year.
The event everyone is talking about in October, though, is Halloween - the night of the dead.
In Germany, it is becoming more and more popular, but it's still not such a big deal as in the UK and the US. I was very impressed by the effort people put into their fancy dresses (I saw a group of guys who were dessed up as zombie smurfs). I have to admit, though, I've always thought "fancy dress" means glamorous outfit. Luckily, I realised before my first Halloween party in the UK, that not a cocktail dress is required, but a funny/ scary costume - that's why I decided to go as Mr. Bean:


Grey November: 
I think if you move to a foreign country you should familarise yourself with their customs and traditions.
In November everyone was very excited about the fireworks on 5th of November, but no one really knew what it was all about. Here is the explanation from wikipedia: 
"Guy Fawkes Night, also known as Guy Fawkes Day, Bonfire Night and Firework Night, is an annual commemoration observed on 5 November, primarily in England. Its history begins with the events of 5 November 1605, when Guy Fawkes, a member of the Gunpowder Plot, was arrested while guarding explosives the plotters had placed beneath the House of Lords. Celebrating the fact that King James I had survived the attempt on his life, people lit bonfires around London, and months later the introduction of the Observance of 5th November Act enforced an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot's failure."
So, remember, remember the 5th of November!  
The next event English people celebrate in November is Remembrance Day. It is also known as Poppy Day and I was absolutely fascinated for weeks that almost everybody in the UK was wearing a poppy (even I was wearing one in the end). The Brits remember their fellow country men who died in the wars:


Magical December: 
The best thing about being in London during Christmas time are the wonderful Christmas lights and decoration everywhere. Especially Oxford Street/ Regent Street as well as Covent Garden are magical in December - if you just ignore the thousands of tourists who walk, well stand around there and get into your way.


No comments:

Post a Comment