According to wikipedia "Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region to settle in another. (..) There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate. Some are for reasons of religious, political or economic freedom or escape. Others have personal reasons such as marriage. Some people living in rich nations with cold climates choose to move to warmer climates when they retire."
Well, neither of these reasons apply to me, but nevertheless I decided to move from Germany to England where it always rains and the men are not really classified as the most attractive ones in the whole wide world. When you have lived in a foreign country before, you might know how different, awkward, funny and difficult your daily life can become.
Here are some highlights of my life in London Town.

July 15, 2012

Tube Etiquette

Yesterday, I went to a bookshop to buy a book about London and stumbled upon "The Little Book of Tube Etiquette" by Laura King. Without question, I had to read a bit in it. I have already learned not to stare at people on the tube, but there are many more unwritten rules. For example: Don't eat. Don't drink (except water). Don't make conversation with the person opposite, even if he/ she is a friend. Don't show affection. Don't laugh out loud.....
Uiuiui, I remember nights where I have broken all these rules:


I am sure each of us living in London knows a funny or annoying tube story (which might include pole-dancing girls). I particularly admire girls who put their make-up on in the morning. How do they do that when it's so bumpy? And it's always funny when you notice people reading in your free newspaper. Laura King suggests you move the newspaper slowly towards them as if you wanted to make it easier for them to read it. I might actually buy her book next time, just to learn "how to get a seat". 


P.S.: A friend of mine just sent me this "London 2012: A tourist's guide to the transport system": http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18236508


No comments:

Post a Comment