According to wikipedia "Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region to settle in another. (..) There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate. Some are for reasons of religious, political or economic freedom or escape. Others have personal reasons such as marriage. Some people living in rich nations with cold climates choose to move to warmer climates when they retire."
Well, neither of these reasons apply to me, but nevertheless I decided to move from Germany to England where it always rains and the men are not really classified as the most attractive ones in the whole wide world. When you have lived in a foreign country before, you might know how different, awkward, funny and difficult your daily life can become.
Here are some highlights of my life in London Town.

June 12, 2011

Events: World Naked Bike Ride

I witnessed one of the most bizarre events yesterday. I went to Hyde Park with a friend to watch some bike tour. What I didn't know about it, was that:



So, apparently it was the 8th London World Naked Bike Ride. Over 1000 people took part to protest against oil dependency and car culture. They wanted to celebrate the bicycle as well as the power and individuality of the human body. And to show the vulnerability of the cyclist in traffic.  
Some of them painted their bodies (what I preferred):


Some of them attended completely naked:

 

When I saw this guy taking a picture like that, I was wondering: Is this gonna be his new profile pic on facebook?! In the beginning, I thought this event is hilarious. It's like a car crash: you don't really wanna watch, but you just can't take your eyes off. But at some point it got quite awkward. There were so many photographers taking pics of all these naked people and treated them like exotic animal.
Well, but after all it was a celebration and an event you shouldn't take too serious. If you wanna join this bizarre celebration next year, keep this website in mind: http://www.worldnakedbikeride.org/uk/

Oh, and btw: it's not like I only took pictures of men. It's rather that 90% of the attendees were male!

No comments:

Post a Comment