According to wikipedia "Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region to settle in another. (..) There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate. Some are for reasons of religious, political or economic freedom or escape. Others have personal reasons such as marriage. Some people living in rich nations with cold climates choose to move to warmer climates when they retire."
Well, neither of these reasons apply to me, but nevertheless I decided to move from Germany to England where it always rains and the men are not really classified as the most attractive ones in the whole wide world. When you have lived in a foreign country before, you might know how different, awkward, funny and difficult your daily life can become.
Here are some highlights of my life in London Town.

January 16, 2013

Sorry seems to be the hardest word - not!

My sincere apology that you haven't read any new posts in a very long time. I am truly sorry, but I was very busy having a really great time over the holidays.

Back in Germany I always had quite a hard time apologising. Admitting that you were actually wrong and someone else was right? No way! But here in the UK, I apologise for many things, many times a day.

For example, the other day I had afternoon tea with some friends. My delicious piece of carrot cake arrived, but then I realised I didn't have a fork or a spoon to eat it. So, I said to the waiter: " I'm really sorry to bother you again, but would you mind bringing me a fork or a spoon?"
British people seem to apologise in particular when it's not their fault. When someone bumps into you in the street, you say sorry as well. When someone asks you for a cigarette, the correct thing to say here is: "Sorry, but I don't smoke".

Before the Olympics the Guardian released an etiquette guide for Olympics visitors and in there it said:
"British people may seem to apologise a lot, but it doesn't quite mean the same thing here. In the UK, "I'm sorry" actually means either a) I didn't hear you; b) I didn't understand you; or c) I both heard and understood you, and I think you're an idiot."

So, it seems like sorry means a lot of different things. Let's explore.
Brits admit that a third of the time, they don't actually mean it. The Top 5 situations of using the word "sorry" are:

1)  When you don't have time to speak to someone or do something
2)  To apologise on someone else's behalf, such as children, a partner or a colleague
3) When you didn't hear what someone was saying
4) When you want something to be explained to you again
5) When you actually feel the need to apologise for having double-crossed, lied to or let someone down


Maybe Elton John was right after all? 



No comments:

Post a Comment