According to wikipedia "Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region to settle in another. (..) There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate. Some are for reasons of religious, political or economic freedom or escape. Others have personal reasons such as marriage. Some people living in rich nations with cold climates choose to move to warmer climates when they retire."
Well, neither of these reasons apply to me, but nevertheless I decided to move from Germany to England where it always rains and the men are not really classified as the most attractive ones in the whole wide world. When you have lived in a foreign country before, you might know how different, awkward, funny and difficult your daily life can become.
Here are some highlights of my life in London Town.

June 21, 2011

Dating in London

So far my topics have been quite funny, but let's get serious today. Let's talk about DATING.

First of all, I have to admit I'm quite unexperienced in the dating world. In Germany, you meet someone, you exchange numbers, you go out, you spend the night together or at least kiss, and then you're basically a couple (I'm fast-forwarding here). In the UK, things are slightly different and that's why I'm happy about any advice. My lovely flatmate, for example, told me the following:
1. You should always go for a drink on the first date and for dinner on the second - just in case the guy is boring, a weirdo, not your type (which you didn't realise before because you had too many Bellinis that night you met him).
2. Leave the guy's number with your friend - just in case he tries kidnapping you.
3. After a while you have THE talk - until then you're dating non-exclusively, which means you can also go out with other guys.

Well, but before you can date someone, you have to meet that person you'd like to date. I can't say I have a problem with meeting guys in London (actually every time I go out, at least one guy chats me up - in contrast to Berlin where it's quite hard to meet someone), but my problem is that I don't wanna make use of their telephone numbers then. Please picture the following scenarios: You are standing in a bar and a guy comes up to you and says: "Hi, I'm Christopher and I work at the Apple Store...I think you should give me your number, because I work at the Apple Store....oh, have I mentioned yet that I work at the Apple Store?" - Hi, I'm John, do you wanna dance?"...2  mins later his hands are on your bump and he tries to canoodle with you - "Hi, I'm Roger and I need your advice. There is this girl I really like, but I think she is playing with me and I wanted your advice!" Are you serious, guys? What happened to flirting? At this point I would like to quote my Spanish friend: "What you meet in the club, should stay in the club!"

But where else can you meet "dating material"? Many of my friends in London are using online dating websites. I'm too scared of that to be honest, because people can tell you everything in the anonymous world of cyberspace. But one of these friends just met an author who is writing about relationships. One of his books is about how to meet the right woman (I wonder why he is still using online dating..hmm...) and another one is about mistakes women make. Consequently we were thinking about mistakes men make. Here are our Top 3: 
#1 Young men today don't know what romance is or use it in inappropriate situations
#2 They are hyperchrondics (also known as "men flu")
#3 They lie about the stupidest things

So, here is my advice: Next time you chat up a woman be charming (no daily delivery of red roses or chocolate pralines though), don't say you have the flu when it's only hay fever and don't say you are a non-smoker when you can smell you just smoked! The already mentioned Flirting Tour (http://www.flirtology.co.uk/) might be a good start too! Cheers ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment