According to wikipedia "Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region to settle in another. (..) There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate. Some are for reasons of religious, political or economic freedom or escape. Others have personal reasons such as marriage. Some people living in rich nations with cold climates choose to move to warmer climates when they retire."
Well, neither of these reasons apply to me, but nevertheless I decided to move from Germany to England where it always rains and the men are not really classified as the most attractive ones in the whole wide world. When you have lived in a foreign country before, you might know how different, awkward, funny and difficult your daily life can become.
Here are some highlights of my life in London Town.

January 8, 2012

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to all of you! Ich hoffe, Ihr seid alle gut reingerutscht - as we say in German.
NYE in London is quite overwhelming. There are lots of (expensive) parties everywhere. Too many probably. Because most of my friends decided to stay at home or go to house parties, including me. I couldn't be bothered waiting for 12 hours at the riverside to watch the 12 minutes fireworks at midnight. If you couldn't be bothered either and missed it on TV, because you were too busy celebrating with your friends at your house party, here is the whole spectacle again:


Christmas time was very interesting, too. Every time I went to a Christmas Market I could order my German drink (Glühwein) and German food (Dinnele/ Bratwurst) in German and while eating it, listened to German music. It was amazing. At Winder Wonderland in Hyde Park they even had a Bavarian Village where you could get original French fries from Germany, served by original girls from Germany (they just look Asian):


Another thing I found quite odd, were the Christmas paper crowns. What is that all about? Are we all kings and queens at Christmas? When I first saw a couple of drunk middle-aged men wearing these crowns at a Christmas party at my local pub, I laughed at them. One week later I was wearing one as well at my own company's Christmas party. At least my colleague affirmed me that I rock the medieval look.
You probably ask yourself now, how do you get these crownes. Many Christmas meals in the UK are accompanied by Christmas Crackers. These are brightly coloured paper tubes which are twisted at both ends and two people have to pull on each end and when it breaks the already mentioned paper crown, a small gift (I got a sparkly heart-shaped key fob) and a joke written on a piece of paper appear. Supposedly, the Christmas Crackers have already been invented in 1846.
Ham wa wieder was gelernt!

No comments:

Post a Comment