According to wikipedia "Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region to settle in another. (..) There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate. Some are for reasons of religious, political or economic freedom or escape. Others have personal reasons such as marriage. Some people living in rich nations with cold climates choose to move to warmer climates when they retire."
Well, neither of these reasons apply to me, but nevertheless I decided to move from Germany to England where it always rains and the men are not really classified as the most attractive ones in the whole wide world. When you have lived in a foreign country before, you might know how different, awkward, funny and difficult your daily life can become.
Here are some highlights of my life in London Town.

July 10, 2011

Culture Clash

I've been to Berlin last week and had quite a hard time to readjust to the German culture. I've discovered a couple of differences I haven't consciously noticed before or have already become used to. 

First of all, I tried to pay with £. I arrived at 6pm and it was still 30°C. We went to a nice German beer garden that night. But in my wallet were only £.


The next morning I had to take the tube and almost missed it, because I was waiting for the doors to open up automatically. But in Berlin you still have to push the button. At least you can use your phone during your journey, because the underground is not as deep as in London.

I really like the concept of standing on the right, walking on the left when using an escalator in Britain. And I know some friends of mine get really angry if tourists stand on the left and block their path. But in Berlin this concept doesn't really exist. Everyone is standing and walking wherever they want.

In most restaurants in London the tip is already included in the bill, so you don't have to bother about tipping your waiter. So, sometimes I just forgot to tip in Berlin and was very embarrassed about it afterwards.
Oh, that reminds me of another British habit I have adapted. When someone passes me, I've started to apologise - even though I didn't even touch them.
Last but not least, if you need to buy groceries or anything else, you should think of it already on Saturday, because unlike in London all shops are closed on Sundays in Germany. 

The day before I left, it rained all day and I was already looking forward to going back to England!

No comments:

Post a Comment