According to wikipedia "Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region to settle in another. (..) There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate. Some are for reasons of religious, political or economic freedom or escape. Others have personal reasons such as marriage. Some people living in rich nations with cold climates choose to move to warmer climates when they retire."
Well, neither of these reasons apply to me, but nevertheless I decided to move from Germany to England where it always rains and the men are not really classified as the most attractive ones in the whole wide world. When you have lived in a foreign country before, you might know how different, awkward, funny and difficult your daily life can become.
Here are some highlights of my life in London Town.

September 1, 2013

Graveyard of Ambition

After my fabulous trip to Scotland in July, I decided that in August I should pay a visit to Wales. No sooner said than done!

What do you know about Swansea?  If you ask English people, they don't seem to be too familiar with Wales and the Welsh culture. Maybe they know Swansea City FC and Swansea University which was founded in 1920, but not much more. 

I like to be prepared, though, when I go to new places and since I knew that the Welsh are like the Catalans when it comes to their own language, I tried to learn a few words. So, I learned how to say hello in Welsh: "Hylo" and Good morning: "Bore da". How to say thank you: "Diolch". And how to say how are you today: "Sut wyt ti heddiw?" Unfortunately, I didn't know how to pronounce these words, so no one actually understood me and appreciated my great efforts.

In the beginning I wasn't too impressed by Swansea. I mean this is their castle:


But then I disovered the best part of this town and spent the rest of my time there:


A Welsh woman told me the following day that Swansea is known as the graveyard of ambition. When you graduate from school, you are full of hopes and dreams. You wanna go to a great university and afterwards get a great job in the City. But a lot of bright students who come to Swansea University discover the beach - just like I did -, and never leave - well, I did leave, but only because I had to.

I definitely recommend a trip to Wales - but beware of the tides when you go to the beach! I had to run in the end....


No comments:

Post a Comment