According to wikipedia "Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region to settle in another. (..) There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate. Some are for reasons of religious, political or economic freedom or escape. Others have personal reasons such as marriage. Some people living in rich nations with cold climates choose to move to warmer climates when they retire."
Well, neither of these reasons apply to me, but nevertheless I decided to move from Germany to England where it always rains and the men are not really classified as the most attractive ones in the whole wide world. When you have lived in a foreign country before, you might know how different, awkward, funny and difficult your daily life can become.
Here are some highlights of my life in London Town.

July 11, 2011

Trials and Tribulations

When you move to a foreign country, you have to meet some challenges, like finding a room/ apartment, a job, friends, a favourite place, moving all your stuff, changing phone provider etc.
One of my toughest challenges so far has been getting a bank account!

I think I had about 7 or 8 meetings at several British banks. They all requested lots of different documents. But not all documents at one time - no, every time I went there they asked for something else. It already became a running gag at work.
In the end they even gave me a questionnaire that included questions, like "How much money do you spend on clothes per month?", "How much money do you spend on entertainment per month?"

Wow! I had no idea how hard it can be for a foreigner to get a British bank account. All in all it took me 2 months to open up a simple account and when I finally accomplished this mission, I received each document in a separate letter and had another meeting with the bank employee to make sure that everything has arrived!

No comments:

Post a Comment