According to wikipedia "Emigration is the act of leaving one's country or region to settle in another. (..) There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate. Some are for reasons of religious, political or economic freedom or escape. Others have personal reasons such as marriage. Some people living in rich nations with cold climates choose to move to warmer climates when they retire."
Well, neither of these reasons apply to me, but nevertheless I decided to move from Germany to England where it always rains and the men are not really classified as the most attractive ones in the whole wide world. When you have lived in a foreign country before, you might know how different, awkward, funny and difficult your daily life can become.
Here are some highlights of my life in London Town.

February 12, 2012

Snow in England

Unfortunately, I missed the only snowy weekend in London this year - so far.
But I've heard that the English got so excited about the white cover that they packed their skis and snowboards and went to the park. Just to remind you, England is pretty much flat. There aren't any mountains, just what I would call little hills.
I went for a walk yesterday and people were still going for a sleigh ride even though there was only a little snow left and you could already see the grass show through. To me it seems quite strange and funny having grown up close to the Alps.


Another phenomenon that strikes me every winter is the following:


I'm not sure if you can actually see it properly (I was too shocked to find my camera right away), but the girl who went for a run in the snow covered park is only wearing hot pants!!
How do English girls manage to wear mini skirts and ballerina shoes when it's absolutely freezing outside? A friend explained to me that she just tries to deny it's winter and she is too lazy to buy boots. That's the explanation? Seriously? What makes me wonder even more is the fact that when you take a closer look at their bare arms, legs and feet you can actually see that the skin is already stained and turning blue.
I would be very happy if any English girl out there could explain that to me...
Many thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment